Company Unveils Clinical Programs Across Three Disease Categories
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., June 7, 2016 – Pronutria Biosciences today announced that it has changed its corporate name to Axcella Health to better reflect its mission of harnessing amino acids for cell health through a systems pharmacology approach. The company uses oral protein biologics to precisely deliver disease-specific amino acid profiles that have systems-wide effects, which restore cell homeostasis and address underlying disease conditions.
After five years of platform investment, the company is relaunching with a comprehensive portfolio:
- Three clinical-stage candidates and positive data from eight completed clinical studies;
- Statistically significant impact on physiologic markers of muscle, metabolic and neurological health demonstrated in clinical studies;
- More than 2,000 diseases identified where amino acid imbalance plays an important role;
- A compound library of over one billion molecules matched with proprietary algorithms and assays to select product leads;
- More than 800 individual proteins expressed;
- More than 100 patents filed with granted composition of matter and method of use claims;
- Nutritional health products in development through Axcella’s wholly owned subsidiary, Acora Nutrition; and
- $112 million in capital raised from leading investors and innovators.
“The introduction of Axcella represents an exciting new phase, reflecting our transition from comprehensive platform development to a multi-disease, clinical-stage company while creating a new therapeutic modality for patients,” said Robert Connelly, President and Chief Executive Officer of Axcella. “We are able to move from concept to clinical studies in under a year and are rapidly expanding our pipeline of therapeutic and nutritional health products.”